Friday, August 13, 2010

I Scream, You Scream, We All Want Some Ice Cream

Last summer my ice cream machine got a work out churning out flavors like strawberry frozen yogurt, gingersnap ice cream, and concord grape sorbet. This year I've been a wee bit tardy in  whipping out the old freezer bowl, but after reading Molly's popsicle post I was inspired to get back on track.

Talk to me about any frozen dessert and my interest is sparked. For a little flavor direction I pulled out the book of every ice cream lover's dreams, The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz, and began to peruse. I was immediately taken with his Orange Popsicle Ice Cream, a throwback to yesteryear's creamsicle. This combination of orange and cream is perhaps one of my favorites. I know it was also one of my mom's favorites which warms my heart a little knowing I have found one more way to carry her memory forward, even if it is just through eating ice cream.


I love this recipe (and a host of others in David's book) because it is yolk-less and doesn't require cooking. In most cases I prefer a french-style, custard based ice cream to a yolk-less Philadelphia style, but there are times when I want to make a cold creamy treat and don't want to mess with separating eggs and slow cooking a custard. This book is perfect for these times because there are a myriad of recipes to choose from and more importantly they are all creamy and delicious! This man has done his homework.

Due to ingredients I had on hand and personal taste I made a couple of minor substitutions to David's recipe, but the finished product is quite like I imagine he intended. One lick and you know there is no going back to those little day-glo orange creamsicles from the grocery!

Orange Popsicle Ice Cream
adapted from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

2/3 c. sugar
Grated zest of 3 oranges, preferably organic so they aren't sprayed
1 1/4 c. fresh squeezed orange juice
1 c. sour cream
( I used creme fraiche because I had a lot on hand, but next time will use the sour cream because it turned out a little too fatty with creme fraiche. I know, I wouldn't have guessed that was possible either.)
1/2 c half-and-half
2 tsp Grand Marnier, or other orange liqueur
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

In a blender pulverize the zest and sugar until it is very fine. Add the orange juice, sour cream, half-and-half, Grand Marnier, and vanilla extract and blend until the sugar is completely dissolved.

Chill the mixture thoroughly and then freeze it in your ice cream maker or pour it into popsicle molds and freeze.

Yields about 1 quart of ice cream or 10-12 popsicles depending on the size of your molds.

No comments:

Post a Comment